Saturday, February 12, 2011

XcessRize Designs Bag Review

Was looking for a new camera bag, I was so set on getting a Kelly Moore b-hobo bag but it was out of stock. Then she had to increase the price on all her bags while I was waiting for the b-hobo to come back in stock. Though it was only a $10 increase, I was not happy. I started my search again for a camera bag.

The first one that I decided on was an XcessRize Designs Hobo Camera bag, this one specifically:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65940965/xcessrize-designs-hobo-camera-purse-xtra

After waiting for a month, my bag finally arrived! The box looked like this:




















It was mailed USPS, they misrouted the package, so I got it late.

This is what it looked like in the box when I opened it:



















I thought I should do an egg test to make sure that it was sturdy enough and had enough padding to protect my gear, so I put an egg in a ziplock bag. To avoid the plastic bag breakage, I put the ziplock in another ziplock bag:




















So what is an egg test? I put this bag with an egg inside inside my new Xcess Rize camera bag. And then I raise the camera bag 4 feet up the air, and then drop it on my tile floor.

What happens next?

This was what I got when I took the egg bag out from my camera bag:



















Broken!! This bag is definitely not as tough as I want it to be. It will only be my in-town camera bag, not a travel/vacation camera bag since it could not even protect this poor egg. Now I have a cracked egg in my fridge and I need to figure out what to use it on. Maybe some Chocolate Chip Cookies tomorrow... Mmmm...

So here's what it looks like on the outside with the top up, this is the back side:

































I added a pocket on the outside, rear of bag. I don't like how it was done. The pocket piece of fabric is all by itself, the cut side of the fabric was hanging loose inside of this pocket. Basically I can take my scissors, and cut out the threads, and you wouldn't even know that there was a pocket there before.

This is what it looks like on the inside:




















Four lens pockets, they're all sewn flat to the sides of the bag, you have to pull them open to put stuff in there. Two smaller pockets for smaller things.

Bag loaded with camera stuff:



















I'm just a hobbyist, and I don't have a lot of camera gear at all, but this bag is not even big enough for everything I have.

Water Bottle? Forget it! See the bottle on the top left of the bag? Can't fit.

The 4 lens pockets, misleading, once you put a lens in a pocket, it's hard to put another next to it. If you manage to put 4 lenses in there, you will have no room for the camera itself, unless of course, you have a tiny camera.

The waterproof layer I paid extra for is just right below the very thin fabric layer on the inside of the bag. I was surprised that I was actually able to see the plastic itself through the weaving of the thin fabric. The plastic makes noise when I carry the bag and when I move stuff around or take things out or put things into the bag.

Here's the front of the bag and the side of the bag:





























It does look cute, and it does have structure to it since it can stand up on its own without anything inside. The "waterproof" layer is only at the bottom and the sides of the bag up to where the patterned fabric ends. There is no shoulder strap pad, the loop for the strap is plastic, looks cheap. The top doesn't close completely, so when it rains, water will surely get in. There isn't enough room inside for everything I want to bring.

I would not recommend buying this bag as a camera bag because it really does not protect your gear. If you like the design like I do, it's best to get the regular hobo bag, no added waterproof layer, just get a waterproof camera insert with good padding on all sides including the top from somewhere else to protect your gear and put it in this bag and carry it as a camera bag. It's cheaper and better that way and you will know that your gear is safe.

Still in search for the perfect stylish camera bag...

XcessRize Designs, Xcess Rize Designs, they are on Etsy and Artfire.

2/16/2011 Update: I posted my bag review link (what you're looking at right now) on XcessRize Designs' facebook page in response to a positive review, she deleted my post immediately and "Un-Liked" me from her page. If it were me, I would do whatever I could to improve my products and respond to a review instead of hiding the truth from people. The padding is only 1/8" thick and I'm not quite sure what's in the padding, it sure is not enough padding to protect any camera gear if the bag is dropped from even 1 foot from the ground, let alone the 4-foot test I did.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting review. I only wrote a brief review of one of her bags, but I do not personally own one, so your review is much more detailed!

    What are you using now?

    I currently have 2 dslr bags and switch between them depending on my needs. The Nevis by ONA designs is my fav. It's high quality, made of real leather, have lots of padding inside and looks ultra fashionable. If I need something lighter (in weight) I use my Berry by Ketti Handbag. It's really pretty and summery, but only has handles to carry on the shoulder, not across the body.

    We have lots of options though and I love sharing the ones I've found with other women: www.stylishdslrcamerabags.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your site! I went there too before deciding what to get, thank you for putting it together!

    I'm using Cheeky Lime bag right now, as you already found it on my blog. ;-) Love that bag! I like having padding on top as well, so that bag fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for putting up this review. I've been in search of a multiuse bag that looks good but doesn't strictly have to be a camera bag. I've been trying to decide whether or not to order one of these bags, but you've made my mind for me. I appreciate that you took the time to do this; it has swayed me away from this. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since 2012 I have been using HIGH DENSITY FOAM Padding in my camera bags

    Jackie
    XcessRize Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't erase the fact that you removed all negative comments from your facebook page, only leaving the positive ones for people to see, kinda deceptive.

      Delete
  8. It was a mistake to remove your negative comments. If the bag was not suitable for the purpose it was purchased for why not return it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to return it if it was ever an option at all. You knew it wasn't a mistake that you removed my comment, you removed all the rest of the negative comments left by others as well, I wasn't the only one leaving you a negative comment. You didn't even create an order on etsy on my order, I could not even leave a comment there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people.. black water bottles

    ReplyDelete